Building the Deer Isle-Sedgwick Bridge
Funding from the Depression era Public Works Administration and the State of Maine backed construction of the bridge linking Sedgwick with Deer Isle which began in 1937 and was completed in 1939.
Beginning stages of construction as seen from Harding Lane in Sargentville.
The first stages of the bridge can be seen at Byard’s Point.
Merritt-Chapman & Scott prefabricated much of the substructure used on the bridge and brought them to Maine on barges.
Barges were often tied up at the Sargentville wharf.
Construction equipment. This was the Monarch which could lift heavy loads.
Barges with the prefabricated coffer-dams that became part of the base of the bridge.
Under construction circa 1937-38. The Sargentville side of the bridge.
Sargentville end of the Deer Isle-Sedgwick bridge. The Ott home is in the background. Circa1937-38.
The Monarch lifting a coffer dam off a barge. Coffer dams were built to match the bottom of the Reach. They were lowered into place and then filled with cement.
Coffer dam being maneuvered into place and lowered into the Reach.
These photos were taken by 18 year old David A. Simmons whose job with the company was rowing workers to and from the work site.
The Monarch lifting a coffer dam from a barge. It then would be lowered into place.
The completed Deer Isle-Sedgwick Bridge. 1939
The 1939 view from Harding Lane in Sargentville.