Sargentville Center Businesses (BUS.1)
Photos and text describing the businesses in the center of Sargentville
Wyer G. Sargent and Son General Store (BUS.2)
Photos of and information about the store and merchandise sold by Wyer G. Sargent & Son
Mrs. E. O. Thwaites’ Store (BUS.3)
Photos of Esther Thwaites’ store at the corner of Reach Road and Caterpillar Hill Road. Building changes over the years.
Wardwell’s Store (BUS.4)
General store on Reach Road owned by Horace Sr. & Katherine Wardwell.
Shore Road (BUS.5)
Photos and text about Shore Road leading to the Sargentville Wharf. The wharf was a business center in the 1800s and much of the 1900s.
Sargentville Wharf History (BUS.6)
History of the wharf by Phillip Sargent and photos reflecting that history over time
Harding’s Sail Loft at the Wharf (BUS.7)
Photos of Harding’s sail loft at the Sargentville wharf on Shore Road
Mills in Sedgwick (BUS.8)
Photos of lumber and grist mills in Sedgwick and Sargentville
Oxen Teams at Work circa 1914 (BUS.9)
Photos of oxen teams moving Harry Dority’s shop to a new private home site next to the library. Oxen teams were often hired to move building, rocks or other heavy objects.
Eggemoggin Silver Mining Company (BUS.10)
Photos of the silver mine on Byard’s Point circa 1888 and the chimney that remained after the building burned
Maine Lake Ice Company Down East Magazine 1971 (BUS.11)
Article from March 1971 Down East Magazine, pp 44-47 by John Lee with detailed description of the Ice Works. (Article used with permission from Down East Magazine)
Maine Lake Ice Company Pamphlet (BUS.12)
Excerpts from Maine Lake Ice Company marketing pamphlet.
Maine Lake Ice Company-The Ice Works (BUS.13)
Photos of and text about the Maine Lake Ice company
Maine Lake Ice Company Remnants (BUS.14)
Description and photos of what little remains of the runways, equipment, ice houses and piers of the Maine Lake Ice Company.
Kill Kare and Camp Four Winds (BUS.15)
History of the summer cottage Kill Kare and Camp Four Winds as shared by Catherine McNeal Larson, a direct descendant of the founders and builders
Fred Gower and Sedgwick Telephones (BUS.16)
Scan of story by an unknown author about Fred Gower’s involvement with Alexander Graham Bell and the first experience with telephones in Sargentville/Sedgwick.
Traveler’s Home (BUS.17)
A hotel in the center of Sedgwick that catered to travelers. It burned to the ground in 1912.
Small Businesses (BUS.18)
A collection of the library’s vintage photos of small businesses
Samuel Shorey – Carriage Maker (BUS.19)
A brief biography and business flyer of Samuel Shorey who made and repaired carriages in Sedgwick.
Condon Restaurant (BUS.20)
Photos and text about the store on Caterpillar Hill owned by Jay and Grace Condon