This is the corner of Reach Road and Caterpillar Hill Road (straight ahead). The Billings Homestead built by Samuel Billings in 1820, the year Maine became a state, is on the right.
Circa 1900 Mrs. Esther O. Thwaites’ Store was at the intersection of Caterpillar Hill Road and Reach Road. This view is from the Reach Road end of Caterpillar Hill Road.
This appears to be George Jordan with his team of oxen approaching the corner of Reach Road (straight ahead, looking north) and Caterpillar Hill (to the left).
Mrs. Ester (or Esther) O.Thwaites’ store is on the left and Caterpillar Hill Road goes off to the right. When Ms. Thwaites passed away on October 14, 1914 Henry Sargent bought the property (Registry of Deeds 516/224) and renovated the store to a residence. Esther is buried in Forest Home Cemetery.
In 1921 Miss Sally Eugenia Brown from Atlanta, Georgia bought the house from Henry Sargent and named it “The House By the Side of the Road”. In this photo Miss Brown is with her cook and Albert Billings.
The corner of Reach Road and Caterpillar Hill Road (to the right). To the left is the former store of E.O. Thwaites and former residence of Sally Eugenia Brown.
This is the house that once was a store and, later, Sally Eugenia Brown’s “House By the Side of the Road”. In this 1960s photo a sign with that name can still be seen on the house (just to the left of the stop sign). At the time of the photo, the house was owned by the Francis Torrey family.