This is a series of photos showing oxen teams moving Harry Dority’s shop through the center of Sargentville to a new site next to the library where it was and is used as a private home.
Digital images donated by Pam Simmons, Sylvia Wardwell, Ed Chapin and Nancy Hitchcock
In this photo the building being moved is at the bottom of the hill near the Shore Road. The bowling alley and bakery buildings are on the left.
A note on back of this postcard photo reads-“Harry Dority’s Shop”. W.G. Sargent’s Store is on the right and Joe Gray’s home is on the left.
Oxen moving Mrs Harry Dority’s House – 1914
In this photo the building is now moving past Parker Billings home on the right with the front yard of Rock Hill, on the left. Also, on the left, you can see the well house that stood next to the road, in front of Rock Hill. It is said that Parker Billings got his water from that well. Parker’s house burned to the ground in 1947.
Another view of the oxen moving the building past Rock Hill with the well house next to the road. Rock Hill house, now the Starkey home, is in the left corner of the picture.
Up the last hill! That’s Parker Billings’ home in the background.
In its new site to the right of the Sargentville Library, the side that was the front of this building is now the back. For many years it was called the Binnery, a name given it by Rebecca Peck Peterson. Presently it is a summer home.