Captain Charles and Georgianna Babson (PEO.29)
Photos and text about Charles and Georgianna Babson
Captain Charles Leroy Babson
Charles Leroy Babson (1840-1922) was a direct descendant of Joseph Babson one of the first (1766) settlers in Plantation 4.
Charles fought, and was wounded, in a battle outside Fredericksburg in the Civil War. He survived amputation of his leg and when he returned to Brooklin he married Georgianna Herrick (1846-1917) and they had three children, William K., Ernest and Elizabeth.
From 1905 to 1922 Captain Babson owned, and lived with his family, in the house on Maple Ave. built by Llewellyn Sargent, and now the home of Bob and Jane Sargent.1
Charles was the keeper of the Pumpkin Island Lighthouse from 1870 to 1902. He and his family lived on the island and Dora Currier, a certified teacher, from Sargentville tutored the children for several years.
1 Hancock County Registry of Deeds, Book 416, page 277.