Photos and text about the home of Eaton and Sargent families.
Joseph Eaton home c. 1800.
In 1794, for 120 pounds, Joseph Eaton of Deer Isle bought the 100 acres of Lot # 83, First Division from John Hutchinson, one of the first settlers in Sedgwick. That land included acreage now known as Maple Ave. Joseph lived in a home close to present Reach Road and his son John built a house nearby at the end of Maple Ave.
Henry went to sea as a young man but disliked it and, instead, worked in the mercantile business in partnership with his father W.G. Sargent. He also had a very succesful career in the real estate. Henry married Eudora “Dora” G. Philbrook on Oct. 7, 1868.
1 Personal communication with Frederick F. Marston, 2016