Robert and Nancy Gower Hitchcock Home (HOM.36)
Photos and story about the Hitchcock home
The home of Robert and Nancy Gower Hitchcock
The house is thought to have been built by Captain Lucius Dority1 in about 1878 on land first owned by John Hutchinson, one of the original Sedgwick settlers.
John Hutchinson sold the property to Joseph Eaton (3/183,184) who willed it to his granddaughter Elizabeth Eaton who married Herbert Dority. In 1878 Herbert sold the land where the house now sits to his brother Lucius (161/313) and in 1879 (164/311) Lucius sold the land and buildings upon it to William Dix Gower.
Lydia and William Gower sold the property to Evaline Low of Massachusetts in September of 1891 (297/77) (260/274). Evaline sold this to George W. Grindal in 1902 (383/241) and in 1917 Sarah Grindal sold the property to Ernest R. Grindal. Ernest sold the home and property to Horace and Eleanor Eaton in 1927 (614/372) and they sold it to Dorothy Drew in 1929 (624/423).
Dorothy sold the house to Fred and Segrid Gower in 1945 (699/353). When the property passed on to Connie Danforth Darrach and Ronald Gower in 1970 they sold it to Robert and Nancy Gower Hitchcock (1106/221).
1Neese, Abby Sargent, Sargentville Historical Reminiscences, Courier-Gazette, Inc., Rockland, Maine, 1975, page 43