The Sargent House (HOM.3)
Photos and text about the Sargent House which was built c. 1840 and run as an inn and livery stable during the late 1800s and early 1900s
The Sargent House
When Jasper retired from the sea he ran the house as an inn and livery stable and when he died in 1918, Fred and his wife Nellie Clapp Sargent took over and carried on the business with its tradition of hospitality and helpful service. Open year round, they catered mostly to “drummers” or traveling salesmen in the days when they travelled by boat or horse and carriage. Later their guests were the tourists and “summer people” who came to the area.
Around 1890, after he retired, Jasper opened a small general store near the road in front of the house. The building was torn down 1944-45. The small horse in the photo, possibly a paso fino, named “Rico”, was brought from Puerto Rico for Catharine on a ship captained by Llewellyn Sargent. When Rico was unloaded at the Sargentville wharf “he was totally wild and came off on his two hind legs”. The children weren’t allowed near him for quite a while.